Crazy About Christmas...

It is starting to look a lot like Christmas…...I’m sure you know the rest of this ever so popular tune.  I love Christmas and the kids get so excited too.  As soon as December hit out came the trees, lights, and Santa’s.  I wanted to share some of the decorations and ideas I am using this year.  For our classroom count down I am doing two different activities.  Outside of our classroom we have a Santa in the hallway and the kids have to trim the beard for each day up until Christmas.  They love this and get very excited over who will be the lucky kid to do the trimming! 


I also have a very pitiful tree in my classroom.  I say this because it reminds me a lot of that Charlie Brown Christmas tree.  The lights are rainbow and I let the kids do the work.  They love it and it really fits the classroom better if you let them make the ornaments, star, and put up the lights.  They appreciate it so much more.  My room is very homey right now.  Our countdown in the classroom is just under our tree.  I collect all the Christmas books I have and I count enough for the day up until Christmas.  I take them home and wrap them.  They are placed under our class tree.  Each day I pick a different kid to pick a present (book).  They get to unwrap the book and I read it at the end of the day.  This is a very cheap and fun and educational way to do a classroom countdown.  We all know the best part is unwrapping the present. 



      As most of you know St. Nicholas Day is in the morning and our stockings were hung on our chimney with care.  My room mom made this chimney for me.  She did an awesome job.  I got the stockings at the end of Christmas last year for 15 cents at JoAnn’s.  I always stock up early for the next year.  You get the best deals.

      Our reading focus this week is compare and contrast.  I wanted to make a cute and educational display outside my room and I love snowmen, so while laying in bed last night it just came to me.  Don’t you love it when this happens?  I’m pretty sure my husband hates when this happens.  I made a model of what I will be showing the kids on Wednesday.  They will be working with their partners to make compare and contrast snow pals.  I love these and I think the kids faces will look so cute on them.  I plan to have pics up at the end of the week with the kids.  I also will have a simple hand drawn template to download. 


Share these ideas with friends.
 








Photobucket

5 comments

  1. Hi Lauren
    Just came across your blog... Cute as can be...
    I adore your countdown santa's
    ❤Melissa
    Mrs. Freshwater's Class

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! These are amazing ideas! I love them all. I definitely want to wrap up some of my classroom books now! How cute is the snowman compare and contrast visual!? I DO love it when that happens ;)

    Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday, I hope your lesson went well.

    www.youcanmakethesunshineanytime.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the Christmas countdown of cutting Santa's beard. I'm going to do that next year. Thanks for sharing.
    Petersons.Pad.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where is the pattern for the Snowman Venn? I can't find it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sophie - I actually never made a template for these. I took two large circle (a lid) and traced them on legal size paper. I copied them onto legal paper using our school copier. I couldn't find out how to scan and download a legal size image ; ( Sorry. The hat and arms I free handed.
    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete