Speeding Through Nonsense Words & A New Student

      We got a crazy start back to school after such a long break.  I think my kids just decided to forget everything we did the week before our snow days.  I hate it when that happens.  We started our new nonsense word challenge this week.  I decided that my kids are very competitive and I needed something to really motivate them , so a need for speed was the answer in deed.


     I made a race track outside our classroom and marked the track by weeks 1-4.  I did this because in four weeks I have to retest my kids on their nonsense words and I wanted them to have a goal and see progress.  I went to Jo-Ann’s with my teacher discount and picked up 35 race car cutouts for about $2.00.  I even printed out pictures of their faces and placed them in the driver seat.  They are soooo cute.  Every week I give them a new list of nonsense words.  You can download the lists I use below.  I record their speed and how many they get correct.  That determines where they go on the track.   My kids are loving this!!!! Total motivation.   Click on the picture below to get your copy of my weekly lists.  I got the words from Scholastic website, but I have it able to edit when you open it. 

     On top of all my nonsense word testing I got a new student.  It is always a bit stressful to get everything in place for your new little firstie, but my kids were pretty excited about the new addition.

      I have always wanted to do something to make my new student feel welcome, so this summer I created a new student class book.  The class book is full of letters from the kids, myself and the principal.  I was pretty excited to try it out.  The kids loved writing the letters and asking all their questions.  We even decided to add this to part of our character education program.  It is a great way to make your newbie feel welcome.
Here's a quick look.....


You can purchase this class book and new student activity for $2.00 at my Teachers Notebook Shop.  Click the icon below for a direct link to my shop. 
This also includes an M&M Meet and Greet game that the kids love! 



Photobucket

No comments

Post a Comment