Straw Towers

Next week our school will start talking about cooperation with the kids and this is one of my favorite activities to do.  It involves working together with a group to complete a task and higher level thinking skills.  The looks on their faces when I tell them what they are doing and the rules are priceless!
I put the kids in groups of 4 and gave each group 50 straws and an arms length of masking tape.  Their task was to build a free standing tower in 30 minutes. 
The Rules:
You can not tape the tower to the floor or any other objects in the classroom (desk, chalkboard, or shelf).  If I heard them using mean words and not working together to solve their problem I took a straw from their group (They didn’t like this).  The last rule was to set a time to finish by.  I gave them 30 minutes.





Below are some of their towers.  They did pretty good.  I only had one group that didn’t complete the task.

No comments

Post a Comment